I forgot to mention this earlier but this weekend we took Porter out (in his fancy little jacket with his name embroidered on it!) to run around a bit so he'd sleep while we went out. Yes, we are talking about our dog. We took him to a field where I kept him on his leash for a while - it's one of those extendable ones. There was really no one else at the field so we decided to let him go off the leash to run around on his own. He loved it. He was darting back and forth between me and George, amazed with all the new things he could smell out here in the "wild".
Then ... he saw it. A man running on the track around the field! And off went Porter like the famed wee-wolf. I can't run so much in my condition (I can't sleep, either, but that's another post), so I was walking after him, calling his name. No dice. Porter caught up with the jogger and I'm all worried what he's going to do. Chase his ankles and try to bite off his shoes (like he does to me when I'm wearing my slippers around the house)? Bark? Expect the jogger to crouch down and pet him like everyone else does?? Nope. Porter picks up the man's pace and just starts jogging next to him!
Now - please keep in mind that Mighty-Mite Porter stands at a whopping 11 inches (give or take) and weighs about 10 lbs. His short little legs can go fast, but he's more a sprinter than a distance runner. After a 1/4 around the track Porter finally looks over to see me swinging his leash (still calling his name), and decides a walk sounds like a good idea and he comes sprinting over to me. He looked very pleased with himself and slept very well that night. Moral of the story? Next time we go to the park I really need to bring my camera!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment